Tuesday 30 April 2019

King Richard III Army at Bosworth Field - Part 2

My take on King Richards Army - Part 2

After taking the weekend off to play in the 15mm DBM Doubles tournament called Venta Silurum in Corntown, Glamorganshire where I came joint 5th using my Sargonid army in its first ever tournament I have just completed all three Battles Stiffened Bill's contingents which I had to stop working on last Friday.

Since Richards army was divided into three distinct parts I decided that once I settled on a list using the DBMM Revised Edition army list that each Battle would be painted historically where possible.

First up is Richards contingent. I purchased Donningtons New Era figures at Salute. He sells show only Battle Packs of 24 figures, so I purchased a pack of dismounted Men-At-Arms and a pack of Retinue Billmen which was enough castings to create 12 elements of Stiffened Bill's. After changing my list design I realised I needed 15 elements but thankfully Project Lead Mountain managed to come up trumps to supply the 12 missing figures I needed. Donningtons codes on their website are listed here. https://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/wars-of-the-roses-143-c.asp If you want battlepacks Damian will supply them to order via mailorder if you contact him first. After cleaning up the figures I ended up with 48 figures which I then mixed up to increase the variety. I picked 12 more armoured looking figures for Richards Battle and since they were not wearing tabards I picked out their plumes and halberd tassles in Royal Blue and Scarlet to ensure they were instantly recognised.





Norfolk's livery is all red with a small white rampant lion on the left breast so I painted the remaining 32 Donnington figures left with scarlet tabards and the small representations of this badge where they were wearing a tabard.





Lastly is Percy's Battle. In my list design this is the smallest command so I only needed to source 12 castings out of Project Lead Mountain. Thankfully I have some leftover oddments of Naismith/Roundway castings from previous projects in lots of different poses. They fitted in perfectly with the army despite the smaller average casting size. Percy's livery is red and black with a small white crescent badge also on the left breast. I have no idea which casting codes these figures are as they came from all of their medieval ranges.





Since I had 8 leftover Men-At-Arms from Essex that I had used to create Richards dismounted Royal Bodyguard I painted these up as generic dismounted knights to get them out of the Lead Mountain and into my Medieval army collection.





So apart from the Northern Border Foot which I still have to paint up the army is now ready to put on the table top by using other elements from my existing collection.

As a teaser here is the army fully deployed using Mikes Models Spearmen for the Northern Border Foot.


2 comments: