Friday 5 October 2018

Bohemian Crossbowmen with Pavisiers in 15mm Scale

Surplus Figures Repurposed into Something Useful

Having recently purchased a Later Hungarian Army that came with six elements of very nicely painted Spearmen that were surplus to my requirements I had considered just putting them back onto EBay to offset the original purchase cost. I was then asked by someone at the wargames club if I had any suitable figures surplus in my Lead Mountain that would be useful to use as the mysteriously illegal Reg Bw X/I Bohemian Mercenary Crossbowmen that suddenly appeared unannounced in the Revised Edition DBMM Book 4 Army lists for the Medieval Germans and Hussites. I instantly thought of the spare spearmen because they are actually Essex Miniatures Code EMED6 Hussite, German or Bohemian Spearmen so were ideal for this.

I also had left over 24 unpainted Minifigs 967X Crossbowmen which used to be their old code 67X which I persuaded Dave at Minifigs to reintroduce into the range after it was replaced with a casting with a pavise on his back some years ago. The figure paints up really nicely and I am surprised the previous owners of Minifigs deleted it from the range in the first place. Put onto 40mm x 40mm magnetised MDF bases decorated with tufts and spray varnish sealed the two castings compliment each other quite nicely.

I have not had it confirmed if he is going to buy them just yet but if not I might keep them myself or EBay them I have not decided. This is the second lot of Bohemians I have created https://drewjarman.blogspot.com/2017/01/bohemian-mercenary-foot-crossbowmen-reg.html








6 comments:

  1. Impressive paint job and great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks though apart from repainting three shields to match the other pavisiers I cant claim any credit for the Spearmen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will be for sale in due course after a club mate gets 1st refusal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you just not 'believe' in weathering, or consider it 'too much' of an effort in this size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont like weathering in 15mm scale for ancients, happy to do washes and shading on super detailing elements like my Scythian commanders but generally with 15mm scale ancients it tends to turn everything into dirty looking blobs and ruins the look en masse at 1m away.

      Delete