Friday, 24 November 2017

Joan of Arc

Jean d'Arc Has a Bad Day

I purchased the Baueda Joan of Arc vignette last year and have finally got around to finishing it.
The items were well cast and clean. There are only four pieces supplied so I dived into my spares box as usual. Heres the link to Baueda.

The spares come from a Essex carraccio and a mix of Donningtons [ DKM05] and other Clerics  I think but I cant be sure.

It has taken me two days to complete and I am very pleased with the outcome. I am undecided on if I will keep it in my 100 Years War English collection or sell it on.

The pictures above were actually unvarnished. I finally completed them today and have added updated pictures below.

Friday, 17 November 2017

Final Figures For My Sargonid Army

Sargon the Great is ready for World Domination

With this blog entry I have officially completed all the figures I need to field my Sargonid Army in any format I want to try. The last 24 castings are Museum Miniature Assyrian Archers AS04 and are slightly different in pose from the Bowmen elements I posted recently. I now have enough Reg Ps O for every eventuality.

I still have a small box of left over castings which I can paint up in due course to replace some of the figures I purchased off EBay but at present I have no urgent need to paint them.

Old School Painting Commission - Part 2

Still Going Retro!

Heres the last of the six 25/28mm figures I was asked to try and match paint to go with an existing element. Its been strange painting such large figures in a style I have not used for over 20 years.

Here is the original Roman Auxiliary Archer Psiloi element.

Here are six finished figures. I am quite pleased with the end result as the colour matching is quite close even if the figures are totally different castings.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017

Old School Painting Commission

Going Retro!

I was asked by someone at the wargames club I am a member of to paint up some twelve figures for him. I must admit that I have not painted 25/28mm scale figures for over 30 years. The main worry I have was that he wanted them painted to match figures he already had which meant I had no idea what colours to use to get a good match. The figures were very old style and the painting was that style we all used to do in the 1980's. Solid block colours without any shading or highlights.

They are for Imperial Romans and represent their Legionary Archers and the Auxiliary Archers.

I have now completed the first six figures for the Legionary Archers. I have been given a sample element for each type to use as a painting pattern for each type which allowed me to experiment a little on the colours. I think that given that I had no idea what colours to use except by trial and error and careful use of my eyes under a bright lamp I have ended up making a good match.

What you you think? Here's the master element I had to match to.

Here's the end result of my match painting attempt.

I now have the Auxiliary batch to complete and I will add them to the end of this blog once they are done. Thankfully I dont need to base them as he is going to do that to ensure they look similar.

Monday, 13 November 2017

Bit and pieces for a Patrician Commission

Asked to paint up some missing bits for a Patrician Army

Been taking a break from PLM over the last two weeks as I worked on a commission to complete a few pieces for a Patrician Roman army. Been interesting to paint figures I would not otherwise paint up.No idea on the makes or codes except that the Javelinmen are from Lurkio and some of the others are Essex. Additional figures added to the end of this blog.

Arab Client State General


Fast Knights

I have finally finished this commission. There were a pair of Roman cavalrymen and I was specifically TOLD they must have white shields so transfers can be applied. Painting guides for these troops are very suspect and its a case of Monkey See Monkey Do after being given a couple of printouts from the WWW. No idea of the make of castings, possibly Lurkio, or one of the other Italian makers. Supplied unbased so they can be matched into the army based up elements.

The last lot are not even Romans. I was asked to paint them up as Sassanids. They are a mix of Essex Miniatures from a few figure codes and I was asked to make a couple of them wearing Copper type armour.