Saturday 2 September 2017

Wallachia - Under Vlad the Impaler 7

Wallachian Army Part 7 - The Moldavian Ally

The DBx army list for the Wallachians give them a Moldavian Ally contingent or vice versa if you were using the Moldavians. This contingent is drawn from the main Wallachian/Moldavian army list but still counts as an external ally for game purposes. For those who didnt know they were very closely allied for most of their time until the Ottoman conquest installed puppet rulers. It wasn't until 1858 that Wallachia and Moldavia finally joined together in a personal union, becoming Rumania in 1866 and together eventually throwing off Ottoman rule in 1877.

Because I am building a Wallachian Army and I still had left over figures in the box from the ongoing project I checked what I would need for the small Moldavian Allied contingent should I ever want to field it. The list requires you to take a Moldavian ally general Irr Cv O and a single Rich Boyar Irr Cv O along with 2 to 8 Lesser Boyar Irr LH S and between seven to twenty-four foot archers which would be the same casting as the archers I already have completed.

I had purchased some figures from Donningtons which I had planned to use for Vlad himself had the element I created using the ERM castings didn't turn out as I liked. I had 1 x MOLC01 General/Vlad and 2 x MOLC02 Rich Boyar with plain upright lances which were ideal for standard bearers. I had selected MOLH01, MOLH02 and MOLH03 mounts for variety. For the Rich Boyar element I had three ERM VL3 castings left over which didn't fit in with anything else but matched the Donnington castings quite well for size and style as heavy cavalry. The Lessar Boyars elements allowed me to use up the last six ERM VL6 castings which I had previously used in threes for the five Wallachian Noble Irr Cv O elements but would also be perfect for the Moldavian Irr LH S as they are in a different casting style from the rest of the Wallachian light horse elements. 

So with no more ado here are the finished Moldavian allied contingent elements. I created the flags myself and all of the shields are also hand painted.

Moldavian Ally general Irr Cv O





Rich Boyars Irr Cv O




Lesser Boyars Irr LH S




With the Moldavian mounted contingent completed I still had some archers left to do. I have already blogged about the Irregular NR9 Hungarian Archers painted up as Curteni Archers Irr Bw I in part 6. I still had another 59 archers left to paint. I decided that I would make sixteen Irr Ps O elements using 32 of the castings and the balance would make up another nine elements of Irr Bw I to use them all up. It was just a simple case of painting them up in the same style as the previous batch of archers.

Irregular HR9 Hungarian Archers painted up as Wallachian Curteni Irr Ps O 





Irregular HR9 Hungarian Archers painted up as Wallachian Curteni Irr Bw I





Having three odd figures left over I decided to mix their coat colours to use as a signature element in a command if needed.

So apart from twelve light horse castings part painted I have now completed the Wallachian army. 

6 comments:

  1. Flags and colors are superb, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Drew, those flags are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great love the flags on the cavalry command.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the hand painted banners. Impressive !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just printed out on a inkjet printer using the HQ setting. The shields are hand painted.

      Delete