Tuesday 7 July 2020

Apparently 4 IS the Magic Number

Yurt Tibetan Be Kidding Me!

Or a tale of how many Cataphracts are an idea amount for an ally command

As I work through Project Lead Mountain and the huge collection of Chinese armies I also have to proved some allied contingents for the. One of them is Tibetan. This army has a reputation that says it can be hard to win with because its quite small and therefore brittle. The one redeeming feature of the list using DBM and DBMM is that you can take an army that consists of only their fearsome fully armoured cataphracts who despite being bow armed only dismount as Superior Spearmen because that's their fighting style.

There's a few Tibetan ranges available but I settled on the Khurasan Miniatures from the USA as I was doing an order for some other figures. http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/tibetan.html

The figures are well sculpted and cover all the options should I ever decide to expand the troops I have into a full army.

As an ally the Tibetans get the choice of taking the mandatory allied generals cataphract element and between three and ten more ordinary cataphract elements. I opted for the mandatory minimum required which is 1+3 hence FOUR being the magic number.

Here are the completed cataphract elements and their alternative dismounted spear elements. The Tibetan banner is one I made myself.




























 


 

2 comments:

  1. Possibly a bit late to mention it, but there was a series of articles in Singshot with some nice line drawings too covering the Tibetan empire:
    Under the flag of Yar Lung [Tibetan arrmes, 7th~9th centuries AD] (110/6-18, Phillipe Allard)
    Above from the Society of Ancients index, downloadable at their site.
    I used to have these, whether I still do is uncertain, if I remember I'll look this weekend.

    ReplyDelete