Sunday 7 March 2021

15mm Chinese Part 17 - Mongols

More Chinese Part 17 - Mongol Allies For The Yuan From EBay

The Yuan Chinese are in fact a Mongol Chinese Dynasty founded by Kublai Khan. The army consisted of a mix of native Chinese troops as well as Mongol troops brought to China by the Khan. 

The Yuan army has the ability to field lots of Mongol light horse & cavalry and I needed to create these for the army in due course. The main army can field up to 24 Mongol light horse elements, up to half of which may optionally be fielded as cavalry as an optional regrade. In addition to this they can field a Tammachi Mongol contingent under its own reliable subsidiary general. This command consists of a Reg LH S Generals element & up to 16 more Reg LH S elements. This gives the army the rare option of taking four Regular generals. I cannot see me fielding such a large Tammachi command but I did realise I needed to sort out the figures in due course.

I had been looking at EBay for a couple of weeks to see if any unpainted figures turned up during lockdown when I say a listing for 45 painted Mongol cavalry consisting of 15 cavalry & 30 light horse. The listing was for £75 but it didn't sell & was relisted again & opened for offers. I decided to put in what I thought was a reasonable bid of £60 & it was accepted. I messaged the seller that I intended to rebase the cavalry general into a light horse element to command my Tammachi contingent & asked him about how he had based them so I could match it once it arrived. He informed me how he had based up the figures & I assumed that I would have to sort out matching the basing in due course.

Anyway yesterday morning the figures arrived. The figures were not magnetic based, two of the LH javelins were detached & a few riders had come off their horses but otherwise none of the figures were damaged. The painting was of a very good wargames standard. First thing I noticed was a piece of paper with a note inside the box. It read "I thought you might find this useful", inside was a piece of card that he had used to mount the figures on along with two plastic bags containing sand & static grass. To say I was surprised was an understatement & I cannot recommend Magpiesmagic highly enough as a result.

I spent yesterday rebasing the Generals element, adding magnetic basing under the card, painting the edges & varnished spray sealed them all this morning. I luckily found an almost perfect match for the paint he used called Coffeebean from my artists paints. Can you notice any difference? The picture on EBay didnt show up the basing colours very well as you will see in the comparison picture at the end.

I think the castings are quite old & look like they might be Asgard Figures. I sorted out the various castings into groups & ended up with 4 x Cv, 7 x armoured LH S inc General, 6 x unarmoured horse archers & 2 x unarmoured LH with javelins elements with one spare figure left over.

Here are the pictures of the completed figures.

The Generals base is an almost perfect match to the rest.















How they looked on EBay



No comments:

Post a Comment