Tuesday 13 August 2019

Wallachia - Under Vlad The Impaler 9

Wallachian Army - Part 9 Addendum

For those who followed my blog back in October 2017 they would have seen that I had claimed to have completed the Wallachians. In truth I had completed the army because I used four elements of spare Medieval Knights to make up the Crusaders knight contingent and I didnt think any more of it. The army list describes them as not actually being proper Crusaders in the true sense but were actually hired mercenaries from Italy, Bosnia and Croatia wearing Italian armour. This of course got me thinking about if the figures I used were correct. 

As part of Project Lead Mountain I have been trying to clear out all of my unpainted 15 mm ancient armies metal. Last week I had just completed another commission and was looking for another small project to do when I came across a bag of 12 old Minifigs knights wearing what I discovered were Barbute helmets. I cannot find out their casting code unfortunately and being loose I married them up with twelve contemporary horses from my spares box. They might be Code 484XC from their Bungundian range, but don't quote me on it!



More information about these here.

Being uniquely Italian in origin it gained little popularity outside of Italy which got me thinking about those Wallachian Crusader knights and the list notes in the DBx list book.

After some minor cleaning up I painted them up over the last two days and have now added them to my collecting in place of the other elements I had used. Given how old the sculpts are I am amazed just how nice they have turned out compared to much more contemporary castings from other manufacturers. Because I am adding them to an older army I based them to match these figures rather than use my current basing technique.

Minifigs Knight in Barbute Helm Code Unknown




Lastly I found five left over castings from my original Wallachian project, three of them are ERM castings code VL2 and VL3 and two are unknown castings.

The VL2 castings are listed as being Unarmoured Boyar but given the fact I had used two of them to represent the armies sub generals on armoured horses with shields I decided they would be OK to make up a spare Light Horse element on unarmoured horses. I think that no one would know the difference unless the elements were side by side.


ERM VL2 casting painted as Light Horse




The last element I just painted up to remove the castings out of the Lead Mountain. They make up a reasonable generic commanders element found in an Eastern European Medieval type army. This is for sale on EBay.

ERM VL3 casting in centre with two unknown castings to either side




No comments:

Post a Comment